Tuesday, August 11, 2009

what I learned from the baby boy #2

This post is a little different from the normal, but it's something I know I needed to share. As I learn lessons and grow in my faith, I do not think those lessons are for me alone. Our stories strengthen and encourage each other. Stories are meant to be told. We must journey and grow together. This is not about art, neither is it about creativity. But, it is about my life and my faith, I strongly believe that my art, creativity, life and faith are inseparable.

----

For the past week, this lesson has stayed fresh in my spirit, I’ve tried to write it many times, and each time was unsuccessful, right now, I feel compelled to try again. Perhaps, if I ignored that prompting, it would be washed away with the tide of new thoughts and lessons, just as the waves wash away pebbles on the shore. Read this quote, take a breath, and don’t let it go too quickly.

“We seek God’s hand more than we seek His face.”

-The God Chasers, by Tommy Tenney

Through my little boy, God showed me a picture of how He desires us to seek His face, to seek Him, and not just what’s in his hand. Here it is. As parents, We provide everything that our baby needs to thrive, to be successful, and to be happy and healthy. We feed him, bathe him, change even the smelliest of diapers, rock him, change his clothes, clean his room, wash his clothes, pack the diaper bag for outings, and make sure he’s safe and contented. He depends on us for all these things and trusts that we will take care of him. He feels safe with with mommy and daddy. Of course, as he grows, he’ll take on some of those responsibilities, but he’ll still need us.

While he needs us to do everything for him, he’s not satisfied with just coming to us when he’s hungry or dirty or tired, he generally wants to be with us, he wants to be loved, held, tickled, kissed, and to play. Overall, he would like all of our attention, if possible. Sure, he can contently play on his own for a decent amount of time – knowing that we’re in the same room or just around the corner (but he nevers goes to far, that he doesn’t feel safe), but when he’s done, he’s very interested in being with mommy and daddy, in fact, that’s all he wants. Even more… it’s what he needs. It’s not enough to be in the same room, he wants to be involved with what we’re doing or he wants us to drop it all and be with him. {At times, it’s exhausting, but that’s not the point here.}

The amout of time that our baby boy wants to be with his mommy and daddy is the exact picture of how God longs for us to be with Him and how we should want the same. Yes, He gladly saves us, meets our needs, comforts us, provides, strengthens us, makes crooked paths straight, gives us direction, pours out numerous blessings, speaks to us in moments of desperation, causes the impossible to be possible, and even guarantees that there will be a rainbow after every storm. He does ALL those things and more, when we come to Him in need. But, He wants to dwell with us, to be with us. He wants us to desire Him, not only what’s in His hand, but Him. He wants us to seek His presence, not just on Sunday morning or a few hours during the week. And the thing is, that is how much we should desire to be with Him.

How often do we ask God for something? Is it more than when we come to Him longing just to be with Him, not seeking anything but Him. One of the definitions for the word dwell is “to exist in a given place or state.” He wants us to want to exist with Him.

What if I locked my bedroom door and told the baby that he could only come to my door when he needed something, that he must knock on the door and I would give him what he needed. Thus, we’d peaceful co-exist, but we wouldn’t be together or have much of a relationship. {Besides having my son taken away, I’d be a terrible mom.} He would know I was there and I would know that he would come when he needed me. I think we treat God that way sometimes. We knock on the door, with our “dear Santa letters” and then expect action and walk away, but we forget or don’t think to say, “I don’t need anything, I just want to be with you. I want you to be with me today, as I work, clean, think, create, take care of my family, relax, and live.”

I don’t have anything profound to conclude this. Everyday, I’m learning more about desiring God and how that changes my priorities and focus. I know that coming to God with our petitions is important, but there’s more available to us, if we desire to be with Him as He desires to be with us. I think this is evident in Phillipians 4:6, 7… “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything with prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all comprehension with guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”

I think that peace comes from being in His presence, from resting in it, and is strengthened with each passing moment. Perhaps, the more time we spend in His presence, we know our needs will be met, but are curiously still more interested in Him than what’s in His hand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.