Wednesday, June 2, 2010

using words, if necessary

You may or may not know this about me, but I’ve come to revel in the beauty of silence.  Growing up, I suppose I talked a few ears off.  I was a social butterfly as my mom would say.  I would find ways to be around people, as much as possible, always looking for something to do.

This past weekend, my cousin, who I’ve never really spent much time with, until lately, told me that I was the quietest person in my family.  I love that he was able to recognize that, because my immediate family still questions each moment that I am not filling the air with trivial words and sounds. 

In college and the years following, I fell in love with art.  Rather, I realized that I was indeed, an artist.  I came to know that silence is necessary for art.  Without silence, I feel drained.  My head is filled with bits of everything that deters me from pure creativity.  It’s in those still moments, when the world around me fades away that I can see and feel the ideas in my head, and transfer them to the canvas. 

After the long sun-filled weekend, I returned feeling that intoxicating pull of silence.  This happens often, when I feel it best to just say nothing.   I can hardly explain it and I won’t try.  But, I have learned to embrace the soft beckoning of peace.  Fighting it would be dangerous to my health, my mind, and my creativity and would result in wasted words.

I don’t want to speak just so words are said.  I don’t wish to write, just to have another post.  I’d rather recognize the stillness inside and open myself up to its possibilities and strength.

William Penn said, “true silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.”

It will be quiet around the Saturated Palette for a few days.  I’m not sure when I’ll have more to say… but words are not always necessary and silence is a treasure.

 

In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in an clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness.  Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth. 

-Mahatma Gandhi

-Olivia

 

1 comment:

  1. Yep I get it. Blessings to you! Thanks for the comment. DE

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.