Tuesday, August 16, 2011

oliver + s bucket hat (LTTS Sew-a-long #1)

Yesterday, my Little Things to Sew book from Oliver + S  arrived at my door, thanks to the delivery man
and guess what happened today…
The clouds parted, the stars aligned and the kids both took a nice long nap. Glory!
Good thing because, I was shoulder deep in the it-has-been-too-long-since-i-made-anything blues, so today was just what I needed.  Coldplay and the thunderstorms helped too.
IMG_0102
IMG_0104IMG_0105
The fabric for side one is this muted, soft, fall-ish  print. It’s cute, but woodsy and whimsical, perfect for a little girl about to enjoy her first fall, isn’t fall the greatest?  The reverse is a lovely green, richer than the photos show.  To remedy a problem area  add a little something extra, I hot glued a small Velcro round and did the same to a simple brown felt bow.  This one is a size small and it fits her well, with room to grow.
The pattern called for a blind stich by hand to add the cap for the reverse side, but umm, I didn’t do that, I folded under the edge and pinned it like crazy, then I sewed from the front side, so that the threads would match, brown on front, white underneath.  It looks like an intentional top stitch and I think it was way easier… and faster.
 
I’m going to make one for my hat-loving boy next, so he won’t steal this one from his baby sis. 
I can’t wait to make the rest of the projects from this book and to see everyone else’s finished hats, see who’s sewing along here.

12 comments:

  1. ah, so it was a little mistake that led to your stroke of genius. Love it when that happens. I was thinking about just doing the topstitch and skipping the blindstitch, looks like it worked out fine. It's so cute on her! those arms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hat is awesome! Love it! And Harper is completely adorable in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. STOP IT! That is soooo no sew cute! LOL! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @the funny one in heels I like when you make yourself laugh, because I know you were cracking up over that. I can practically hear you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of the bow. Sometimes the best ideas come about when we're trying to rememdy a problem area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your hat!!!! The fabric choices are perfect and the model is so sweet. Can't wait to see what's you make next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Cindy

    Thanks Cindy, I know it's my favorite part of the hat now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! I love the bow. That's definitely a "making lemonade out of lemons" situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liv,

    Love that you were listening to Coldplay while sewing! I think your little side bow is a was a good idea. Cute touch. I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The print is gorgeous and I love the bow!!! Perfect for your little sweetie!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.