Wednesday, June 10, 2009

37 seconds, well used, is a lifetime.

It's late and my mind is filled with remnants of the great evening that I shared with two good friends.  It was one of those nights that lifts your spirit, with encouragement and affirmations.  I couldn't possibly capture it all, but I do want to share one thing.

I'm definitely a girl who thrives on words of affirmation, it's often worth more than gold.  Mark Twain said, "I could live on a good compliment for two months."  Tonight, a good friend told me, that she felt one of my greatest qualities is truly living life, not just existing.

Take a second, isn't that something? I was very blessed by those kind words, because I really do strive to live, TO LIVE, it's not so easy.  Sometimes existing just happens, but you have to happen to life or it will just happen to you.  

I recently read this quote,  "What are you going to do with your one wild and exciting life?"  I can't remember who said it, but I like it.  Seriously, what are you going to do?

I sure don't have all the answers and sometimes I get caught up in all the things that I'm not doing, like touring the cafes of Paris  to decide who makes the best cafe au lait or checking out that ceiling of Michelangelo's....  but today I am laughing, dreaming, hoping, praying, loving, and living, so that's something.  I baked bread, had friends over for dinner, made the baby laugh, wrote in my journal, flirted with my husband, connected with people, and further realized part of my greater purpose  (That's huge).

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."  So go ahead, live, no one else can write your story or dream your dreams.  

Tonight, I was inspired to keep up the constant and unpredictable pursuit of life.  What does that look like to you?

Need a boost?  Watch Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, it always does wonders for me.

Molly Mahoney: I'm stuck! 
Mr. Edward Magorium: Oh, to my floor? 
Molly Mahoney: No, sir. 
Mr. Edward Magorium: Then what? 
Molly Mahoney: Like a person. You remember when I was a little girl and I could play Rahmaninov's Second Piano Concerto and everyone was talking about my potential? 
Molly Mahoney: Well, I am 23 now and every one's still talking about my potential but if you ask em to play the song I know best... I'll still play Rachmaninov's Second. 
Mr. Edward Magorium: May I suggest you stun the world with Molly Mahoney's First? 


Mr. Edward Magorium: 37 seconds. 
Molly Mahoney: Great. Well done. Now we wait. 
Mr. Edward Magorium: No. We breathe. We pulse. We regenerate. Our hearts beat. Our minds create. Our souls ingest. 37 seconds, well used, is a lifetime. 


and finally....

Mr. Edward Magorium: We must face tomorrow, whatever it may hold, with determination, joy and bravery 


2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is so powerful and well written and true and inspiring. The things you accomplished are all huge... and the further realize your potential, priceless. Way to pay attention to the real things and strive for what's important. Thanks for your perspective. (And the movie recommendation too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It was one of those nights that lifts your spirit, with encouragement and affirmations."

    I couldn't have described Tuesday better myself. Thank you so much for the inspiring words of encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.