Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ten for Creativity Day.17. Destroy it.

I have this idea in my head, that I can’t quite seem to let go.  I’ve been looking through my collection of paintings and whenever I see certain pieces, my face gets all twisted and I declare, “uggh.”  I also have that same feeling inside, uggh.

It’s not just be being critical of my own work, the truth is this… Sometimes, we create something that is good for the moment, because we needed to create, but when we look back, it’s just ok, and as the saying goes, good is the enemy of great.

This weekend at the art festival, one artist was giving away canvas bookmarks that were cut up strips of old abandoned paintings.  Perhaps, they were projects he never finished or he literally found them abandoned.  I don’t know, but they were some of the coolest bookmarks I’ve ever seen.

What if we took a look at our work and we were brave enough to destroy it, to turn it into something else?  What if we said goodbye to the good and took a chance at making it better?

Today, I challenge you to literally destroy one of your creations, with the possibility of turning it into something  great.

I can’t wait to see what you do, so please document this process with some photos… I’ll share mine soon.

-Liv

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.