Tuesday, August 10, 2010

from the pages…

A majestic storm is rolling through the air with brilliant flashes and thunderous roars.  My fingers hit the keys to the sporadic rhythm of my thoughts.  The greatness that is Coldplay’s Parachutes album is the perfect accompanist to this moment.

As far as moments go, this one is pretty great.

Life is comprised of all of the moments, good, bad, and perfect.

Tomorrow brings a whole set of new ones.

I’m recording this moment, right now, because it will soon be over.  The coolness of the storm will pass; the heat and humidity will once again eat away my patience,  civility, and sanity. 

I won’t look back on this moment as one of those major defining events in my life.  It will never rank with a great road trip, falling in love, getting married, having a baby, or finally stepping foot on European soil (one day), but it is one of those tiny bits of simple goodness that I want to remember.   Just because.

---

"The saddest thing about life is you don’t remember half of it.  You don’t even remember half of half of it.  Not even a tiny percentage, if you want to know the truth.  I have this friend Bob who writes down everything that he remembers.  If he remembers dropping an ice cream cone on his lap when he is seven, he’ll write it down.  The last time I talked to Bob, he had written more than five hundred pages of memories.  He’s the only guy I know who remembers his life. He said he captures memories, because if he forgets them, it’s as though they didn’t happen; it’s as though he hadn’t lived the parts he doesn’t remember.”

-Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

---

Do you remember? Or have you forgotten a lifetime of memories?  I write and paint to remember, how about you?

-Olivia

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.