Wednesday, September 14, 2011

DIY Infinity Scarf tutorial

 

These amazing things are popping up everywhere, see: (here) (here) and you know what I saw, scarves for everyone. Well, I say that at home sometimes, not usually proclaiming it in the streets. I’m not so much a street proclaimer. I say it like the Banks family, “POSTS EVERYONE!" Because life should always include Mary Poppins.

Please know, I’m not the best instruction giver, but hopefully this will show you the basic steps to make your own. I just used fabric from the pile of clothes that I no longer wear, which I was saving for sewing projects.

1. This skirt was from a pleated dress, it measures 30” x 66.”  You could use something much shorter.  Scarves hang all crazy, so I wanted it to be “reversible,” as in there was no wrong side to it. 

2. This old crochet type shrug, the closest thing I had to a lace, but together they feel like fall to me. I like fall. 

IMG_0775IMG_0776IMG_0777IMG_0779

3.  Press the main fabric, then fold the right sides together, in half. Press again.

4. Sew one straight stich down the fabric about 1” from the edge.

IMG_0780IMG_0781

5. You know have one very long tube.

6. Press the seams again.  Then, fold the edge up, right sides together about 1”.  Press. Then fold that back under so the unfinished edge is inside. Repeat on other end.

IMG_0782IMG_0784IMG_0785

7. I cut the sleeves of the shrug. If your fabric is already a rectangle, take a break. Mine is wider at the ends, which made it rather bulky for the next step, but it wasn’t too bad.

IMG_0786IMG_0787

8. Take your second fabric and place the edges inside the tube of the main fabric.  Ideally you would pin in place, but this was way bulky already.

9. Sew a straight line about 1/2 inch from the edge. Sew another close by for reinforcement.

IMG_0788

10. You should have this. Repeat on other end.

IMG_0789

Done.  Now spend ten minutes in from of the mirror seeing how many ways you can wear it.  Here are some examples…

IMG_0790IMG_0797IMG_0800IMG_0805IMG_0806IMG_0811

If you have any questions, leave a comment. I’ll try to answer, if not I’ll find an answer.  Let me know if you make an infinity scarf of your own, I’d love to see it.

I’ll be wearing this for the rest of forever.

3 comments:

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.