Friday, April 17, 2009

A Fine Time for an Artist Date

Today was the perfect day for my weekly artist date for two reasons.  First, the week is nearing an end and second,  after a long week of the little baby boy who wouldn't sleep, if I didn't get out of the house for a while, it wouldn't be such a beautiful day in this neighborhood.  Thankfully, my amazing husband knew that and strongly suggested, more like ordered me to get away for a while, probably for his sanity, as well.  

Off I went, even the feeling of driving away, in an empty car was lovely.  My first stop, Michael's, the home of all arts & crafting goodness.  I went in with about ten dollars to spend and no time limit.  The next glorious hour or so was spent wandering up and down each aisle, with the exception of all things knitting, jewelery making, and clothing embellishing (no feathery boas for me.)  

I put all sorts of things in my basket and took most of them out, eventually.  One by one, I decided upon my little items of inspiration for today and was very pleased.  I even engaged in a mini-conversation with the cashier, about how amazing a $500 gift card to Michael's would be.  

All the excitement of my fun little projects almost caused me to cut the date short.  Fortunately, a text saying that Mr. Hudson was sound asleep encouraged me to visit my second stop.  

The moment you walk into Barnes & Noble is one of my favorite moments ever, it never gets old.  I wish I could bottle that coffee smell and let it fill the air of my home, oh wait, it does, at least twice a day.  Anyways, enough about my coffee addiction.  I really enjoy that moment, the doors are pulled open and the aroma of coffee and paper fills the air.  

More aimless, but perfect wandering lead me to grab a couple magazines, and a newly-released edition of one of my favorites, Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller (including a sneak-peak at his new book coming this fall) intrigues me.  I wanted to see what goodness his next book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, would bring.

As I drink my Venti Iced Passion Tea, unsweetened, of course, I finally figure out that if I had to pick one style for my home it would resemble something found in the pages of Better Homes and Garden's 100 ideas for Flea Market Styles  


I really would love anything found in these pages.  I never want everything in my home to match perfectly, because I'm all about this statement:  Great style is about mixing, not matching.  Thus, I don't have to pick one style, PERFECT; Everyone thinks my style has been defined, and I don't feel like anyone is putting me in a box.

The absolute best part of my afternoon was found in reading the sneak peak to Donald Miller's new book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.   Since, it is something completely different, you'll have to read the next blog.  I promise, you won't be disappointed. I wasn't.

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutely wonderful outing! The part where you recounted having "no time limit" just sounded glorious to me!

    My next artist date will be to a bookstore. I too love the whole package there. Might just have to peruse the BHG Flea Market Style mag too.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.