Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Workspace

I am so inspired lately, by all the workspace photos that I have seen lately in some of the blogs, that I follow.  Until today, I had been doing all my projects on a small table in the corner of the living room.  Yeah, that was craziness and I mean all, sewing, painting, cards, drawing, everything. So, today we turned the third room into my work room.  It was previously the storage room, laundry, workout, and home to our movies and bookshelves.  It still is all those things, but we just turned the piles of boxes and tubs into a desk.  We stacked them to a good working height and then placed the doors that once enclosed the laundry closet over the stacks.  The doors had to be removed for the washer/dryer to adequately fit, so they were just a part of that massive storage pile anyway.

I took one of my cute polka dotted sheets from college and covered the area below, so it would look prettier and them put up a giant piece of foam board for my now inspiration board, it's HUGE.  Inspiration Capacity : Endless.

Now I have a huge space to work and all my materials are placed in front of me.  It also allows me to be in a different room while I working on my projects, which is great while the husband is working from home on his book.  We will probably accomplish much much more, not always distracting each other with conversation.  Plus, it's nice to think that I won't be 
spending so much time in the living room, it seems like I'm always in there.

Our extra TV is also in my new work room, so movies/music are an option, plus Baby Einstein can be a great distraction for the Hudson baby, while I work.

So, I'm loving it, and can't wait to start creating in my own little office.  Maybe one day the shoe boxes and oatmeal containers will be replaced with all sorts of "proper"  storage compartments, or... not.  I don't think that my creativity requires new store bought storage containers, as if they are anywhere near the top of our "We Need List."  After all, my workspace... my organization, right?  
And that my friends is what I love about art.  It can be anything you want it to and you can make it happen in a fancy studio, (which I will have one day), or in the spare/laundry/storage room in our little apartment.  Art is everywhere as long as we are willing to create.

So, I encourage you to use the space and materials you have right now, no need to spend a dime, and start to create the life you have always wanted.

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on creating a space for my work area too... We recently converted a closet into my little area. I just posted abt what I want in my space today. Enjoy yours!!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.