Monday, January 17, 2011

Dear Daughter: Megan writes

As we countdown the days until meeting our baby girl, I asked some friends to write their thoughts on having a daughter.   It means so much that they would take time to share their stories and I get more excited with each letter.  I hope you enjoy them too.

---

Megan writes:

A surprise. That’s what she was. I will never (EVER) refer to any of my children as “accidents,” but finding out in July 2009 that I was twenty weeks pregnant with a little girl was certainly not what I planned to learn as I visited the doctor that morning. The rest of that day was a whirlwind of excitement, nervousness, worrying, joy-sharing and dreaming about this next, beautiful phase of our lives. It did not take long at all to adjust to the fact that we would soon become a family of three and that “life as you know it will never be the same,” as SO MANY folks will tell you.

They were right. Though she was quite comfy where she rested inside me, the doctors were not content to allow her to stay any longer than forty-one weeks and five days, and so, she was gently
evicted and invited to come live here in the outside world with us. I’ll always believe her birth was a miracle…after fully dilating and pushing for two hours, the doctor came in and made us aware that she refused to move down any further. Thinking it was her size, they advised moving to a c-section before the baby was in any distress. Andrew and I agreed, and I welcomed the quick relief that came from the anesthesiologist. Just a few moments later, the memory as vivid as ever, I heard the doctor say, “Dad, stand up…here she comes!” He was so focused on me I had to tell him, “They’re talking to you, babe.” Andrew rose and I heard those few precious cries; then, a little scrunched face peered over the curtain above me and my eyes, while filled with tears, met those of the best blessing this life could’ve ever imagined. When the doctor told us later that her cord had been wrapped around her several times and that a c-section was the right move to avoid any danger for her, my heart filled with gratitude for a God who sees what we do not.

From that moment on, Adalyn Rose has continued to be the best surprise of our life. Thinking back to those first few months of her life when, though she adores her daddy and the rest of our family, she was always most content to be in my arms…remembering the first time she looked in my eyes and recognized, “Hey…you and me…we’re special, aren’t we?” Oh yes, my dear one, we sure are.

Though it’s only been fourteen months, I have watched her bright eyes and sweet smile continue to make every day better… as she perfects her animal sounds and sticks her tongue out to play a game with Daddy. As she hugs her baby doll and does little spins in place when she hears music, as she sits on my lap learning to wink and brush my hair ever so gently. As she runs around the rooms with snacks and sippy cups, making messes and then helping me clean them up. Then, when she hears the key in the door, peering around the corner knowing Daddy is finally home! Loving that she wants to sit on the countertop as Mommy makes dinner, just so she can be close to me. Knowing that, no matter how hyper, she will still fall right asleep as soon as we snuggle up together on the couch. Telling her there’s a baby in Mommy’s belly…I know she doesn’t fully comprehend, but I also know that she comes over and sweetly kisses my belly which holds her baby sister. She will be an excellent big sister…for sure.

She began as a surprise to us…something entirely unexpected, but so worth the wait, effort, time, preparation, money, stress, worry, and love poured out. And she continues to be, every day in new ways, a reminder of the sweet love our God has for His children…if it’s anything like the love I have for this little gem (and already possess for her little sister, to debut in just two months), we are blessed beyond measure.

---

This is simply beautiful, Megan. Thanks so much.

1 comment:

  1. WOW...that's all I have. What a beautiful and precious word about a most perfect little girl. Nonna loves you little Adalyn Rose, and I can't wait to meet and love on your little sister!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.