Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Well.

I’m not a salesman.  Marketing and advertising are not my forte.  When it comes to my art, I don’t want to spend time convincing people that they need to buy something, I just want to make great art that inspires others.  I want my work to speak for itself, rather than me finding 101 ways to assure you that your life is lacking without it, because truthfully, your life is probably going to be just fine.
I don’t devote numerous hours to catchy slogans, and enticing offers, because that isn’t me and it takes away from my creativity.  I like to create.  I don’t like to sell.  Which brings me to the well.
A few months ago, I announced that Matt and I started a campaign with Charity Water to raise money to build a well in a village in Africa.  I was moved by the harsh reality that these people risk their lives everyday with the simple act of taking a drink of water.  From the beginning of life, babies have no choice except to consume the disease-filled, murky water which threatens the length of their lives and parents have no other options, because there is no access to clean drinking water.  The sick stay sick, the young never become old, and the hope of something different is non-existent.  This is a way of life for these people, a sad reality. 
A few years ago, Scott Harrison started Charity:Water, a non-profit that builds wells in under-developed countries.  These wells bring life and clean water to entire villages for the small cost of $5,000 dollars.  Clean water gives these people the chance at a longer life, better health,  more productivity, and a greater sense of dignity, because they no longer have to drink the same water as the wildlife that roam the land. 
Knowing that I can have a part in bringing water to these people excites me.  As a mother, I couldn’t imagine giving my child a cup of water knowing that it was full of parasites and diseases that could make him sick.  Thankfully, I live in a country where water is abundant and I am fortunate enough to not even drink the water from the tap, because I keep a pitcher of filtered water in my fridge.  I use water more times throughout my day than I even realize and I know I take it for granted often.
So, for the past few months, we’ve made raising the money to build a well our giving project.  I’m not saying this to gloat or anything, but I believe this is a life changing project.  I also believe that I am not the only one who would agree.  Because I am not a salesman, I’m not going to spend time trying to convince you that you need to give.  I know there are multiple causes that are worthy of supporting, but I do want to remind you of our project with Charity Water. 
We have 47 days left before the campaign will close.  At that time, if we don’t raise all the money for the well, all contributions will be added to another project, so in theory, we’ll still build a well.  However, I’m rather confident that our goal can be met and an entire community of people’s lives will change.
If you want to be a part of this life giving project, you can read more about Charity: Water here.  You can also go directly to our campaign page and donate any amount you wish.
Feel free to spread the word, because it’s going to take more than you and me to make this happen.  And it’s a beautiful thing when people come together for the good of others. Don’t you agree?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.