Monday, January 3, 2011

baby growing diaries #12

The coffee is brewing in the French Press.  In four minutes, my head will be less foggy.  The sun is beaming down on the snow covered world.  My New Year’s resolution was for winter to end, but apparently, resolutions and wishes are not interchangeable.  I don’t really make resolutions, especially in January, it’s so trendy and when things become uber trendy, I tend to want to do them even less, which may explain my great desire to end my facebook days.  I’m considering it more and more,  besides, whatever happened to the good old fashioned text and email? 
One of the handy little apps on my phone tells me I have 2 weeks and four days left until my due date.  I’m going to be honest and say that I hope that day comes a bit sooner.  This time around, I love that sense of unknown, that at any moment I could go into labor, that’s the kind of thing that drives me wild with excitement.  I suppose most people would rather wish that whole part away and pencil in the time and place for these events to occur.  That’s boring.  Those people would also be the ones who have had their hospital bags packed for weeks. Boring again.
I have… pack , umm, made a list on my phone.  I’m thinking about the idea of packing soon, but since the no-car situation leaves me on a bit of unofficial house arrest, chances are good that I’ll be home.  Packing will give me something to do later, when I’ve done every other thing I can imagine. Plus, it will take a little bit of time for my mom to arrive and stay with the boy, so I’ll be fine.
Even as I write this, I find great entertainment in knowing that my words of last minute preparation may send some of my friends into a state of shock, causing them to hop on a plane and demand to pack my bags for me… but at this point, that would be awesome.  I’ll take all the entertainment I can get.  My ultra-relaxed personality wouldn’t work for everyone, but I think that in this current situation it’s best.  I have zero control over this whole ordeal, so why pretend that I do. 
After all, I did make a list.  Plus, I have this handy contraction timer app on my phone that I’m really excited to try.   I also know that somewhere in this room, there’s a phone number to call the hospital when all systems are go.  And, in my defense, I did get the diaper bag ready so that at least she will have a cute outfit to wear home.  So pretty much, I’m half ready to go. 
So tell me, friends, what kind of person were you?  Did you have everything crossed off your list months in advance or do you embrace the excitement of the unknown?  And furthermore, when did you have your bags packed?
37.5 weeks


  1. I didn't pack a single thing until my dr. told me I would be induced that afternoon. We left his office, went out to eat then went home and threw a bag together. This time everything will be all scheduled, which makes me a little disappointed about missing out on that unknown feeling.

  2. LOL. I don't even think I need to answer this question...cause I think you already know.

    Bags were packed by around week 36/37...mine, Andrew's, and Adalyn's; though I didn't even go the hospital until week 42 and had one full day's notice of being induced. LOL. Chances are the same things will all happen this time around. :) At least I'm consistent.

  3. Hmmm...with number 1, my bags were packed and waiting the two weeks overdue that she happened to be. The entire delivery was not how I had thought it would be - induction and "pain" meds, which didn't help any pain, only made me delirious!

    With son, I didn't have any plans, only hopes. Then my BP went up and the midwives decided I needed to be induced...I didn't care, I didn't want to go into labor on Christmas day - he was due the 26th. Of course we were anticipating a large snow storm on the night before my induction, so my bags were packed and we drove down the hill and did an overnight at my mothers. I was out shoveling snow, walking around and hoping to go into labor all on my own...dreading the nasty pitocin!

    Well, God is good. I didn't go into "labor", but I was 5cm by the time I arrived at the hospital the next morning. I asked my midwife to break my water and see if I would progress naturally. She agreed and 4 hours later a little man entered the world, just the way I wanted him too - all naturally!

    Sometimes we have no control over these things...I didn't either time. But I figure that God knows the moment we're supposed to be born, so it was all according to His plan. =) I had short, easy labors - 4 - 4 1/2 hours max both times - so I'm not gonna complain. =)

    Praying for you!

  4. I had the same attitude you have. I remember the first thought when I realized I was in labour at 11pm: must not wake up hubby until I'm at least 4 minutes apart. Thought #2 was: I must tidy up the house, I can't bring a baby into this mess.

    Considering we didn't even go to prenatal classes, our attitude could be called uber relaxed. I liked your line about: we have no control why pretend that we do.

    I think this was the only time in my life that I let all control go. I'm a control freak! I just felt very calm and at peace the whole time.

  5. I don't have kids yet, but I know I will be one of those moms who has the baby room all ready by the 5th month and my bag for the hospital packed weeks in advanced. I love to plan ahead and know I will be so excited to bring that little baby home!!


Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.