Thursday, April 29, 2010

ten for creativity day.9

Confession:  my attempt at day 8 was a bit of a failure.  I tried making a fabric necklace that started looking bizarre.  I toyed with the idea of adding all sorts of vintage buttons to a plain shirt, but I wasn’t feeling it.  So I do not have anything to show for day 8, but I did in fact try and that’s mostly the point.

On that note, let’s move on.

project create copy 

Day 9:  Dear Me

Never mind searching for who you are.  Search for the person you aspire to be.  ~Robert Braun

Last year, I worked through the incredible book, The Artist’s Way, by Julia Cameron.  I highly recommend it.  One of the exercises that I really appreciated is today’s project.

Creativity is all about self-realization and discovery.  The more honest you are with yourself… the better.  The more you examine your life, the easier it is to discover what you really love doing. 

Today, I want you to write a letter to yourself.  Write down your goals and dreams, your hopes and fears.  Record your greatest joys and proudest moments.  Jot down those truths that you always want to remember.  Make a list of things you love.  Are you happy?  Are you stuck?  Do you feel like you’re on the verge of something new waiting to plunge into the bliss of the unknown?

When you’re done, date it and seal it in a envelope.  Put it somewhere that you’ll find years later, {maybe a journal or a keepsake box}.  You could write in bold capital letters, DO NOT OPEN UNTIL XXXX, that is what people do in the movies.

This can be pretty personal, so don’t feel like you have to share, but I’d love to hear about what you thought about writing the letter, was it easy or weird?  Was it hard to be honest? Would you want anyone to ever read it?

Hope you’re having a great week…

-olivia

1 comment:

  1. my day 8 might be a failure too...I'm in the process now and it's undecided. But I'm still gonna show, even if it's a failure- and you should too! I wanna see your bizarre necklace!

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.