Tuesday, October 19, 2010

a few of my favorite things… a.k.a top ten books

People of the world, are you just so excited for Oprah next Friday, when the cast of  The Sound of Music is reunited for the first time in 40 something years?  Oh what a magical moment that will be.  I adore Julie Andrews and that movie…and you better believe I might shed a few little tears of joy when I watch this event.  I pretty much never watch her show, but I put this one on my calendar… and my husband’s too, just because.
But that has absolutely nothing to do with this post. So shall we continue?
I’ve been thinking it would be fun to do a little Top 10 week, after all the fun that happened over here.   And since I just put the sweetest (days away from being) two year old to sleep, the husband is working, and I just made a cup of tea, this moment is perfect for such things as making lists of my favorite books. Yes, I am aware that it’s Tuesday and wouldn’t it make more sense to start on a Monday, but I’m not really a rules kind of person and my blog is a not a rules kind of blog.  We’re free spirits who have found just the right amount of balance and order for a calm, functional, and happy life… but we don’t like unnecessary rules. nope.
Let’s get to the books.  The books, people.
I love a great number of books.  I also despise a great number of books, but I’m going to try and only share my top 10 books, because 10 is a good number. 
Without further ado…
My Top 10 Books
1.  My Name is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok
If you’re an artist, read it.  The end.
2.  Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen
Honestly, Elizabeth Bennett and that Mr. Darcy, is there anything that compares, ever? No explanation required.
3.  Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved this story. Jo is my favorite, but I still wish she ended up with Teddy.
4.  Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
Seriously, seriously, this book is amazing and controversial and genius… and frightening… and wonderful.
5.  Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
Why do we love that Holden Caufield and all of his issues and meaninglessness… I really can’t say, but we love it.  We just can’t help ourselves.
6.  To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Great story, that’s all… and if I ever find a way to use the name Atticus, I just might…
7.  The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis
I’m never sure what to say about this book, because nothing I could ever articulate will ever describe this unbelievable allegory.
8.  The Man Who Was Thursday, G.K. Chesterton
This book is funny, crazy, insane, and serious.  Matt and I actually read this aloud together and loved every second.  It’s the kind of book that you won’t forget.
9.  Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
I know, but if you’ve never read this one, you have no idea what a beautiful story you are missing.  Read it.
10.  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer
It’s tragic and lovely, funny and irreverent and great.

I have compiled that list to the best of my abilities…  and clearly, I am a classics girl who loves a little crazy… what about you?
I’d love to hear your favorite books… I really would.  And, if you hate some of these books, that’s alright, because I hate. hate. hate. The Great Gatsby and most of the books that Hemingway wrote, I’m not even sorry.
{Liv

1 comment:

  1. Great post Liv! My top tens in every category change with alarming frequency... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Here's the thing: I love your comments.
So thank you.

Have a lovely day.
Drink some coffee.